Homeowners may not realize it but when cold weather approaches, water and fire hazards increase. Here are some common cold weather issues and what you can do to prevent them from happening in your home.
Water can quickly turn into costly home damage. Help safeguard your home from water damage this winter by following these yearly reminders.
- Plumbing – Inspect all plumbing annually and make sure pipes in attics, basements and outside are properly insulated or taken out of service, if not needed.
- Roof – Inspect and do all necessary repairs as soon as possible. Insulate areas that are prone to freezing.
- Sump pumps – Check, test and maintain properly
- Washing machines – Check hoses for cracks, kinks or blisters. Turn supply valves off when not in use, and never use while unattended.
- Water heaters – Have a professional inspection of the “anode rod” regularly. This part will eventually corrode and need replacing.